SUPPORT THE MEMORIAL MARCH
There are many ways to support the Memorial March:
ATTEND: Spread the word and join us (all genders welcome) to the Feb 14th march. We respectfully ask that you please do not bring your agency or group banners, flags, or leaflets as the march only carries signage remembering our sisters. Signs to honour womens’ lives are welcome,
KNOW THE PROTOCOL: In a good way, we want to inform everyone about the protocol the march that has been in place for three decades:
- At 10 am, there will be a family and community remembrance at Main and Hastings.
- At noon, the elders and family members make a circle at Main and Hastings for the prayer circle and then the march proceeds.
- Women elders carrying medicines are at the front, followed by all women elders and family members and women drummers. The quilt made by loved ones in the DTES community is carried behind the family members and drummers.
- Everyone is invited to follow. We ask that you leave your organizational banners at home, signs honouring women’s lives are welcome.
- The march makes a number of stops along the way for ceremony to honour where women were last seen or found.
- At approximately 2 pm we stop again at Main and Hastings for speeches by community members, followed by a healing circle and drummers at Oppenheimer Park around 3 pm, and finally a community feast at the Japanese Language Hall from 4-5 pm.
VOLUNTEER: Please volunteer to support the march with setup, cleanup and more. We need approximately 84 volunteers (all genders welcome). Volunteers can sign up here: https://signup.com/go/AXMcnTp
DONATE: The march is made possible by organizations and individuals like you. This year we need to raise $10,000. Please donate online https://dewc.ca/donate-online and in the question “Where would you like to give?” please specify the Women’s Memorial March.” Or please make cheques payable to the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre, and include Feb 14th Women’s Memorial March on the memo line. Mail cheques to the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre, 302 Columbia St. Vancouver, BC V6A 4J1. All donations over $10 will be gratefully acknowledged with a tax-deductible receipt.