Back to top ^

Advance Care Planning

Many older co-op members understand they should prepare for their future in case of failing health. This is considered advance care planning.

Recording wishes and choosing advocates can be confusing and complicated, often resulting in the elder being unprepared for later medical events. Experts recommend writing down your wishes and choosing which legal documents you may need. Remember three key legal documents:

  • Will: Is used only after you are gone. Without one, settling your estate can take years, with the courts deciding who inherits. If you already have a will, does it need updating?
  • Power of Attorney: Gives authority to someone you trust to speak or act on your behalf, especially regarding financial matters. An enduring power of attorney could allow the representative to sell the owner’s real estate. Often two people are named.
  • Representation Agreement: Used for medical issues or decisions when you cannot speak for yourself. It is important to have your wishes put in writing.

For more information about end-of-life planning, see the Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre or Dying With Dignity. The provincial government offers an Advance Care Planning Guide.