Back to top ^

Approvals / Role of the Regulator

Co-ops with operating agreements may need to obtain approvals from government bodies.

A co-op with a federal agreement may need approval for very short-term capital plans (from The Agency for Co-operative Housing). Co-ops intending to borrow money will need approval from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) and The Agency. This process will involve the co-op obtaining an appraisal from a professional appraiser, and the submission of a package of other documents. CHF BC can help.