Back to top ^

Funding for Studies

Right now, co-ops can access funding to help pay for studies useful for long-term planning!

Most co-ops have (or have had) operating agreements with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC); others have relationships with BC Housing.

Co-ops with CMHC agreements may be eligible for Preservation Funding — a program designed to help community housing partners, including co-ops, obtain technical reports, financial analyses, energy audits and other studies. The maximum funding is up to $50,000. CHF BC services are eligible, and we encourage co-ops with CMHC agreements to apply and work with us.

In BC there are also provincial programs that target energy efficiency gains. Through the Social Housing Retrofit Support Program, non-profit housing co-ops can receive energy study funding (up to $5,000) and support funding.

We recommend looking at co-op assets holistically. If you don’t have a recent building condition assessment report, that should be a priority, but be sure to consider other relevant studies at the same time. (This is particularly relevant if you’re considering CMHC Preservation Funding.)