// CODE COMMENTED OUT BELOW IS TO REMOVE AUTHOR FROM DISPLAYING
// ======================BEGIN================================= ?>
//echo get_avatar( get_the_author_meta('user_email'), $size = '50'); ?>
//= get_the_author(); ?>
// ========================END================================= ?>
May is Asian Heritage Month in Canada. This month provides us with an opportunity to celebrate the contributions that Canadians of Asian descent have made—and continue to make—in Canada. It is also a reminder for all of us to come together to combat anti-Asian racism and discrimination in all its forms. This includes racism, discrimination, and xenophobia.
Canadians of Asian Descent
Over the last two centuries, immigrants have journeyed to Canada from East Asia, Southern Asia, Western, Central and Southeast Asia, bringing our society a rich cultural heritage representing many languages, ethnicities and religious traditions. Asian Canadian Cultures in Canada Include:
- East Asia: China, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, Taiwan
- South East Asia: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, East Timor, Vietnam
- South Asia: Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
- Western Asia: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Cyprus, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, State of Palestine, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen
- Central Asia: Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan
CHF BC’s Commitment
CHF BC is taking action to tackle hate and discrimination through our strategic priority of ‘belonging.’ Through this priority, we aim to inspire housing co-operatives to promote and embody equitable access, opportunity, respect, and a sense of belonging for everyone. Our efforts include:
- Working with housing co-ops to identify and work to remove barriers to equity and inclusion;
- Modeling best practices to promote equity and inclusion and to increase diversity among CHF BC directors, staff, workshop leaders, contractors, and consultants; and,
- Reviewing and refreshing our education program, management services and development practices to reflect this strategic priority.
Join us as we celebrate this month, learn more about Asian Canadian heritage, and learn how to fight anti-Asian racism.